- On the subject of; concerning
- So as to affect.
- Indicates movement within a particular area.
- Expresses location in a particular place.
- Describes a quality apparent in a person or place.
Old English onbūtan, from on ‘in, on’ + būtan ‘outside of’ (see but2).
- A city in Western Washington, on Puget Sound in the Pacific Northwest.
- Surrounded by water, mountains and evergreen forests.
- Contains thousands of acres of parkland.
- Washington State’s largest city, it’s home to a large tech industry, with Microsoft and Amazon headquartered in its metropolitan area.
- The Emerald City.
The City of Seattle is named after the Native American Chief from the Duwamish (Dkhw’Duw’Absh) Tribe. His was nobly born to parents from both the Duwamish and Suquamish tribes. Chief Seattle’s name (siʔaɫ, with a gutteral stop in the middle and a kind of explosive sound at the end) was given to him when he was old enough to receive an adult name, and is pronounced approximately “See-ahish.” His name is also sometimes spelled “Sealth” and “Seath.”